Sunday 10 May 2009

B Roads to A Roads!


Watching the walls slump down as I lie on the floor, I draw the days hungover and broken, and it all appears so clear. I know that all of us should be doing bigger and better things with our lives. We should, but we don’t. So I’m going to offer aid and give a quick and cheerful summery for our progress and situation at the moment. We are completely and utterly fucked.
It was fine when there appeared to be no chance in hell that this would begin to work. I kinda thought its legs would buckle and that would be that. I could go back to my slow and tired writing and my window watching drinking, stopping occasionally to pat myself on the back and say well, you tried. But now, Jesus, now! We begin rehearsals this week, production in two, auditions for the next show in three and then the snake continues to eat its own tail till it creates a perfect zero as O’Brien said, leaving nothing but the void. Goddam it and no one is helping! Andrew from Lee Rosie’s has become more generous than before, allowing us performance, rehearsal and audition space. Tom at the studio is giving us space. Our production crew has increased with the help of our good friend Lian Duan, who is now offering her time and effort to production and promotion of the show. What the hell is wrong with these people? Haven’t we spilled enough evidence that we are blind and dumb to the terrible reality of this situation? But it gets worse, oh god does it. I receive many emails a day. Some are from people just keen to audition or offer a little help here and there and that is fantastic. But now, I’m receiving mail from hardened professionals, dancers from New York, Stage managers from London. And the more that I tell these people that we cannot afford to pay them, that we are small and without a venue or local name, it does nothing. They reply, saying “sure, I’d love to come and help out” What the hell! Why? What am I doing wrong? Daniel has become optimistic because of all this, and it does appear that fate is still smiling for the time being. I can no longer remember when the tide turned. Failure was fine if we could attribute it to the elitist attitude of the business and those established within it. When we could argue that no one came to the auditions, rehearsal space prices were extortionate, but shit, we did what we could man, we tried. IT WAS FINE! But, to place it all on our shoulders that it stands to us as to whether it rises or falls, this was unexpected. Well, here goes.
In earnest, I am truly thankful for all the fantastic help we are receiving, soon I will run a long list of all those currently involved. I cannot believe the responses we have had and to all of you, I hope we can help you as much as you are aiding us. Cynical as I am, you all have drastically altered my belief that this city and its people are a closed off and cold lot. I am blown away by all of this, and as sacrine as it is: thank you. We begin soon, and so far you have all offered a great amount of faith. We have a fantastic cast and crew; I hope we can live up to your expectations. I know dam well, that we will try.
As a small note to anyone reading this (does anyone?) Auditions for Berkoff’s Decadence will be running at Lee Rosie’s Tea in Hockley on the 3rd of June (Wednesday) from ten till three.

No comments:

Post a Comment